Knob Creek BBQ Chicken
- Whole Chicken, Spatchcocked (1)
- 3/4 cup Knob Creek
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 Medium Onion, chopped small
- 2 cups Ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worchestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Hot Sauce
Knob Creek BBQ Sauce Directions:
- Heat a large skillet at medium, then add onion, garlic, and Knob Creek bourbon.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Mix in rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- If you prefer a smoother sauce, strain. Otherwise, your sauce is done and ready to use.
- Pre-heat smoker, grill, or oven to 400*. (2)
- If spatchcocking your chicken, do so now. If not, leave whole, rinse, and dry.
- Lightly oil the chicken and season with desired seasoning. (3)
- Place chicken into pre-heated cooking device and insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast.
- When the chicken is at 140* internal, glaze with BBQ sauce and return to cooker.
- Pull chicken when breast is at 165* and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- I Spatchcocked the chicken, I find it cooks more evenly, and it’s easier for me to slather the BBQ sauce all over.
- I like cooking chicken outdoors as it tends to smoke a lot as the fat renders. I used the pellet side of my Pit Boss KC Combo for this cook.
- I used a combination of Pit Boss Chicken rub and Pit Boss Sweet Heat for a little kick. You can keep it as simple as salt and pepper, as the BBQ sauce will provide a lot of flavor.
© 2020 Mitchell Schwartz