Kodiak Buttermilk Flapjacks with Blueberry + Blackberry Compote and Homemade Whipped Cream
YOUTUBE VID HERE: https://youtu.be/HYNadhc2ttA
-2 Cups Kodiak buttermilk flapjack mix
-1.5 Cups Milk
-1 Cup Fresh Blueberry
-1 Cup Fresh Blackberry
-2 Tablespoon fresh lime juice, halved
-1/2 Lime, zested, halved
-1/4 Cup Sugar, halved
-2 Tablespoon Water
-2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
-1/4 Cup Sugar
-1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1) Heat berries, water, and half of sugar, lime juice, lime zest in a pan until the water begins boiling. Add pinch of salt.
2) Drop heat to medium and stir often. As the berries begin to heat and break down you can mash them down to your desired consistency. The mixture will get more watery during the heating phase.
3) Once the mixture begins reduces down, taste. Add more sugar as you see fit, and lime zest if it’s lacking.
4) Reduce to final consistency you like (know that it will get thicker as it cools) and add rest of lime juice. Turn off heat and stir to combine, then cover and let sit.
5) While compote is cooking:
1) Add cream, vanilla, and half of sugar to bowl. Mix with a stand mixer, handheld mixer, or by hand (good luck!). Once the mixture thickens up taste for sweetness and add more sugar to your taste.
2) Transfer to the fridge if not using right away, and/or to a different bowl. Otherwise, serve right from mixing bowl once pancakes are ready.
1) Combine Kodiak flapjack mix with liquid of choice, stir to combine.
2) Pre-heat griddle or pan of choice to medium-low or medium (325-350*).
3) Once compote is done, begin cooking flapjacks. Butter griddle and pour batter to your desired flapjack size. I made 4 larger flapjacks with this quantity of Kodiak mix.
4) After flapjacks are done, top with compote, whipped cream, and fresh berries. Feel free to add syrup, butter, powdered sugar, or anything else you like. Enjoy!
Mitchell Schwartz © 2022